With gluten free food-sections at Wal-Mart and Safeway it’s clear that gluten-free eating is on the rise. Non-celiac gluten sensitivity is probably one of the most frequently diagnosed type of food intolerance today. Symptoms of gluten sensitivity include bloating, abdominal discomfort or pain, diarrhea, headaches, vertigo, muscular disturbances and bone or joint pain. More people also simply decide to go “gluten-free” for their general well-being.
Whatever it is that makes you stay away from gluten, it’s not as difficult as you might think. In the last 5-10 years gluten-free products have emerged not only at your local health-food store or Wholefoods. Trader Joe’s, Safeway/Lucky, Wal-Mart, and many other big chains feature usually a wide variety of good gluten-free products these days.
I personally have been gluten free for more than 10 years and here are some of my favorite gluten-free staples. Many of these can be purchased at either Wholefoods or Trader Joe’s.
Please feel free to post your favorites by commenting on this.
- Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Muesli
- Udi’s Gluten Free Whole Grain Bread
- Canyon Bakehouse 7-Grain Gluten-Free Bread
- Glutino Premium English Muffins
- Glutino Premium Sesame Bagels
- Van’s Gluten Free Toaster Waffles
- Trader Joe’s Gluten Free Granola
- Glutino Sea Salt Crackers
- Trader Joe’s Gluten Free Ginger Snaps
- Trader Joe’s Corn Pasta, Penne & Spaghetti
- Omission Gluten Free Pale Ale
My latest finds:
– Mr. Holmes Bakehouse Gluten Free Raspberry Muffin
My local coffee-shop 50/50 is featuring the best gluten-free treat selection I have seen so far in coffee shops. I appreciate their narrow selection as it is always spot on
– Gluten-Free Donuts from Dynamo Donuts
For a list of gluten-free SF restaurants, bakeries, and more click here